Tuesday, 22 March 2011

Evaluation Question 7



As you can see the prelim task was very basic, made whilst we still had the most basic of editing skills, it lacks a proper ending and the editing is still very very basic. It also features very little plot/ narrative at all, and lacked any proper development, it also lacks a definable genre, with little to no character identity.

For our main film we looked at a number of films within our genre i.e American Psycho, Lost Highway, Donnie Darko, Shutter Island and others, films that have big(ger) budgets and actors. We deconstructed them to gain further insight into how the film maker would produce a film that fits within the genre & to understand the codes and conventions of the genre, noting down repeating elements such as the disturbed male protagonist, the misc-en-scene of Patrick Bateman's apartment, how hollow it is, to Teddy Daniels Fedora. These deconstructions gave us a far greater insight into the way the films are made and allowed us to progress much more effectively with a greater knowledge of camera work and more ideas to incorporate into our film. This gave us our initial way into the genre and from there we developed our ideas, taking the best of each film and figuring how it can best fit into our film. The prelim lacked such ideas and thoughts and was a 'done there and then' job with plenty of improvisation.


One example of a deconstruction




For example the character in a leather jacket could have been anyone, it's never indicated who he is properly or where the location the scene is set in takes place. We also lack any anchor as to time frame of the prelim, something we rectified with our current film. With a modern computer and clothing to immediately anchor it in the present or there abouts.








We also went through several planning stages with different cuts for example here is our first storyboard, as you can see it lacks a large range of the shots used in our final film and its largely incomplete.
As a group we expanded upon these points and added more and more, we bounced ideas off one another in an attempt to see what would and wouldn't work within the film, for example at one point we had a party scene planned however we decided that this would be far too unwieldy to film properly and would require extensive use of extras and as such the continuity would have been fairly hard to keep track of. We went through several ideas before we decided upon one that we, as a group where happy with. As the producer of the film, the director would come to me and ask if I was happy with what was being filmed, if I was happy with how it was being done but he was allowed to experiment with that he did in leading me as a member of the cast. He told me what to do, where to look etc and ensure that the overall look of the film was satisfactory.
 However with the prelim there was no clear sense of role and everything became somewhat jumbled and confusing as to who would do what and it because fairly messy fairly quickly as it led to role conflicts over who had charge of what. We also had to agree on things such as filming dates and when we did what and as a group decide on the best course of action. We did this for podcasts and vodcasts so we could maximize our efficiency

We tried to keep the transitions to a minimum, we wanted the audience to feel that something was wrong and as such we relied heavily upon jump cuts to really keep the audience hooked in, to give off that initial narrative enigma required to keep them rooted to their seats.

We had too look for a location that fitted in with our film, unlike the prelim which was mainly done for the sake of convenience rather than actual setting. Here are some images I took when scouting possible locations

Here is a fairly average middle class house, suitable for our film.


For the ending of our piece it created a great sense of binary opposition.
We used social networking sites such as facebook to really mold our project to what the audience wanted and what they thought of the idea. This was a great advantage over the prelim, which had very little screen time.and audience feedback it was just made and completed with very little feedback. We also used sites such as Vimeo to help get the idea viewed by as many people as possible which was a great advantage.  

The prelim also features a very unclear soundtrack i.e there is none and lots of background interference from other noise sources, where as our finished & final cut features a mainly diagetic soundtrack designed to make the viewer wonder if what is happening to the character is real or not, to give specific release of tension when it is supposed to where as the prelim was totally random. Also the prelim consists of very few shot types whereas our final cut features a far greater variety of shots i.e a dutch angle to say that something isn't right about the scene on screen. However there was one shot where the camera did wobble occasionally when the character is tapping his keyboard for his computer- this is because we could not get the right angle with the tripod and as such we had to rest it on the desk and we used the least wobbly shot we had available.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Please ensure all comments are appropriate, all comments will be reviewed before posting, thank you. :)