The technology of which we used to produce our film really helped achieve the overall effect, with most of the effects done on location, because what we used would not allow for extensive digital effects, but it would allow for quick and easy editing with an easy to see and use interface the software we used came with the macs as a basic program called iMovie which allowed us to see the video on one layer and the soundtrack on another layer. This allowed for the manipulation of the soundtrack of the film with drag and drop functionality. We could also easily recover any lost footage in the trashcan, just in case of accidental deletes that may occur whilst editing. Overall this program really helped us edit our film with maximum quality and ease allowing us to change the sound levels on each individual clip and add transitions with ease.
This allowed us to edit with speed with some cuts being finished in several hours, which greatly aided us in getting viewer feedback swiftly. It also allowed us to easily see what we where changing, which helped to sort out any editing issues and the functionality vs interface was very easy to use unlike Song Vegas which is used on a more professional level.
We used a sound editing program called Audacity to edit the films soundtrack and produce songs for the film which would allow for us to make it all the more effective and fearsome.
As you can see Audacity provides very detailed feedback with the soundlevels and layers meaning a greater degree of control over the exact effect that the sound would give.
To create our idents we used a program called LiveType, which enabled us to create layers and render backgrounds to our idents easily then change individual aspects such as shadowing on letters on the spacing between the letters, the little details that add up to create the idents. it was very easy to use and meant that we could achieve some very high quality work with very little effort. It also meant that we had greater control over what was going on, on the screen.
The camera (a Sony Handycam) we used wasn't the best at capturing dark footage and as such we used an improvised lighting rig, to help artificially create light, in a shot that didn't eventually make the final cut, however it gave us the chance to learn what the camera could and couldn't do. It gave off digital noise and induced blurring in overly dark shots which stood in the way of viewer enjoyment.
I also used Microsoft paint to produce some very basic posters over backgrounds for example:
It was very surprising just how easy the programs where to control what we could and couldn't do with the footage we had, we found that the tools provided although basic where very proficient in how they worked and allowed us to create something that really sent a reaction out through the audience. The film editing software was so smooth to use and its key advantage lay in the interface which was very user friendly.
The camera used allowed for some fairly clear shots with some digital interference, but overall it gave the effect intended. The software however was our key asset and if we'd had used software older i.e analog, then I don't think we would have come up with anything near as slick as we have done and the rendering power would have been greatly reduced limiting the effects we could have used in our film, for example the idents where totally done digitally, they would have been very difficult to reproduce on older software and hardware and they would have to have had a greater degree of live footage involved in them.
Another great asset in how we managed to produce our film, was the advent of web 2.0, with video sites such as www.youtube.com or www.vimeo.com , which allowed for us to easily distribute our films and gather feedback as we posted them onto sites such as www.facebook.com to generate feedback from a relevant target audience quickly and effectively, for example when we used Paint to produce some basic posters I placed them onto Facebook for feedback and I could easily screen capture what others thought of them, for example:
This allowed us to effectively alter our ideas in-line with what the audience thought.