Thursday, 3 February 2011

BH - Poster Design STAGE 1

Thinking ahead to target audience and marketing, I've spent afew hours desiging and creating posters of diffrent design, exploring the use of fonts to create a relevant poster, I wanted something simplistic that really gave a clear message to the audience, something that would attract viewers, so to start with I played around with some fonts in Microsoft Paint, downloading them from http://www.dafont.com/

So heres what I came up with at first:










  • However I thought that the 'Torment' font looked too horror esq and maybe too gothic for a psychological thriller. So I worked again on the fonts, searching and in the end I chose to use the font I used for the 'Dreamscape' for the 'Torment' aswell, a serif font gives the implication of horror quite strongly as a title font.
  • So with my fonts sorted and decided upon I scoured google with something I could use as a place-holder image, something I could use just to check how it looked in reality on diffrent backgrounds.
heres my first attempt:














  • It's simple and the knife gives a slight hint at the plot, the text is easy to read with a nice clear white background, however my initial thoughts where it seemed horror esq, however initial feedback given via Facebook seemed to be posative, aside from the fact it appears the knife is lodged in bread. Here is some initial feedback...from the poster the genre was correctly guessed.


  • So for my next attempt I decided to try something more complex and psychological in focus rather than physical.




So using some art from the band TOOL I  produced this:















  • However I was unhappy with the level of detail in this image so I got hold of a higher resolution version, once again to test how it might look, checking diffrent image types to see how we might compare and emulate them in the final finished poster.

My next attempt:




















  • I did like the image, but I felt that it was too dark and it lacked the appear and 'look at me' nature of the initial blood splatter and knife poster so I managed to make one final attempt on the poster design.

 Here it is:


















I personally liked this poster design however initial feedback from the target audience on it was slightly less warm:









1 comment:

  1. excellent!
    pass on the jpgs of these!
    the main benefit of doing these is to help illustrate your grasp of the target audience, 'mode of address', and of course marketing (which is generally undertaken by the distributor) - look at the Eval Qs and you'll see several useful links to this
    so: see if you can highlight how these link to your target aud
    btw, as you were off today, we're looking for a possible editor (also sleeve designer) for the drama production, on march 10th

    ReplyDelete

Please ensure all comments are appropriate, all comments will be reviewed before posting, thank you. :)